Monday, October 3, 2011

What's Your Number?

Let's get topical.

Anna Faris starred in one of the films released this weekend. Though "What's Your Number?" received mostly negative reviews and was a box-office flop, its premise is certainly worthy of discussion. When Anna Faris's character reads a study that suggests that women who have had more than 20 sexual partners only have a 4% chance of getting married and finding the one, she reconnects with as many as her lovers as she can, hoping that one of them was the one who got away. I'm sorry, but... WHAT THE FUCK??!?!?

Women who have had more than 20 sexual partners only have a 4% chance of getting married?!?!?!?!

I'm calling bullshit on this one.  Seriously. Unfortunately, it seems there is still quite a stigma attached to women who have had, say, more than one sexual partner. Don't believe me? Check the IMDb message board for the film and count the number of times you find the word "whore". I'll wait.

Lost count, haven't you?

This is what a whore looks like.

Shockingly, men in particular seem to respond extremely negatively to women who aren't virgins. If that means you, here's your reality check. Remember that scene from American Pie 2 that suggests that most women have slept with three times as many men as they claim? Yeah. That's probably pretty accurate.  Take a look at this interesting article I found while doing a little research. It suggests that it is mathematically impossible for the average sexual partners of men and women to be that different even though polls and statistics often suggest that women claim to have had far fewer partners than men. The problem? Women lie precisely because of the stigma. Look, it doesn't bother me all that much that society is okay with man-whores but not sexually liberated women. What I don't understand is why men are okay with being promiscuous themselves but not okay with their girlfriends/fiancĂ©es/wives having a high number, too.

My main concern is that a lot of women seem to be encouraging this type of thought. Why feel the need to lie? This is 2011 and it is time to take ownership of what we do with our bodies. Let's stop deluding men. Let's get them used to the fact that women like having sex and that the guy that pops their cherry isn't usually the one. Better yet, let's not tell them our number if all they're going to do is judge us. Ask them why it matters. A lot of women don't care how many vaginas their significant other's penis has explored. Or at least they care a lot less than men do.

The truth? I can think of at least of handful of women I am close to whose number is over twenty. Take this Time Out New York poll, maybe one of the most accurate I've ever seen (at least according to my perception of things). Though the numbers still seem a little low to me, especially for New York, my guess is a lot of people round down, don't count one night stands, or sometimes forget some of them. Not everybody keeps a list (I do 'cause I'm weird like that).

Let's remember that where you live, how many long term relationships you've had as well as a number of other factors will decide just how high your number will be. Not everyone's circumstances are the same so let's try not to judge.

As for my number? It's 28. And no, you don't need to multiply that by three.

No comments:

Post a Comment